Monday, February 18, 2013

the BIG 3-0

I keep hearing the Tim McGraw song "My Next 30 Years" in my head. Bruner turned the big 3-0 last week, and I think I need to come up with a list. 

It's weird how 30 used to sound so old, and then you get there and it's like...so what? I've got a lot to show for these 30 years! 30 starts to sound younger and younger every day!:) I have to remind myself I'm not there yet, but will be soon in September.


I couldn't think of anything special to give Bruner for his big 30th birthday. I wanted to give him something he'd keep forever and then it hit me...a portrait of Calder! It wouldn't be a big or fancy portrait, but instead a simple, sweet watercolor by the amazing Susan Woodard, an artist based in New Orleans. I blogged about her recently (see this post) and just adore her style.

I contacted Susan and after sending her several different picture options, we decided on this one. This sweet photo was taken by Chelsea Francis Photography back in November.


And here's the magic she produced. This pic doesn't do it justice but it'll give you an idea. Calder's watercolor is hanging in the kitchen and even though it's "faceless" — we can still tell it's our boogie from a mile away!

Since our Birthdays, Valentines and Anniversary's always fall together (why is that always the case?) we decided we were due for a much-needed getaway—just us two. We splurged (for us that is) and booked one night away at The Grand Hotel over the bay in Point Clear. 

it. was. wonderful. 

We ate amazing meals at Master Joes Sushi and Camilla Cafe, took long walks on the bay, pampered ourselves to a 1-hour massage (Bruner's first massage ever), and just enjoyed being together without a care in the world. It was perfect, and one night was all we needed. I woke up missing my Calder-bear bad! My Dad came in town and kept Calder for the night, and they just loved every minute of their short time together. Granddaddy spoils Calder and gives her pancakes and ice cream for lunch! But, that's what grandparents are for, right? It's so special to see such a tight bond between my parents and sweet Calder. They really do love each other to pieces, and it's surreal when I step back to think about it...



So much has changed in a year and we are so, so grateful. Stay tuned for "My next 30 Years" list...hmmm...where to begin??

Credits: Photo of Bruner & Calder taken by Amanda Roberds Photography

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. precious! and what a sweet gift... happy bday bruner! and no, 30 is NOT old. at ALL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy belated birthday bruner!! love the painting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...