Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday Words of Wisdom by Albert Hadley


I always heard about Interior Designer Albert Hadley growing up—being that my mom is an interior designer and my first name is Hadley. And believe it or not, I was not named after him, but by how my mom talked about this design icon, you would think I had been!


Even though I am many months late on posting this, I felt it would be wrong of me not to acknowledge the passing of the one and only, Albert Hadley. When I was browsing through the May-June 2012 issue of Veranda magazine, I was touched by the editor's tribute to Albert Hadley's life and work. What an interesting and talented man he was! He skillfully mixed classical and daring, modern details with a perfected eye.


And he sure was quotable:

"The essence of interior design will always be about people and how they live. It is about the realities of what makes for an attractive, civilized, meaningful environment, not about fashion or what's in or what's out. This is not an easy job."


"Flair is a primitive kind of style. It is innate and cannot be taught. It can be polished and refined. When a person has flair, a grounding in the principle of design, and self-discipline, that person has the potential of being an outstanding designer."


I love his sketches—so loose and expressive!

Just last year, Architectural Digest asked Hadley, What is your definition of a great room?

“The best rooms have history and MEANING: photographs that remind you of someone, furniture that has a story. Whatever you put in your house should be interesting. I may not like it, but that doesn’t make any difference. And decorating is not about dollars and cents; it’s an emotional thing, it’s passion. Buying a painting or a piece of furniture just because a famous name made it isn’t passion.”


"Decorating is not about making stage sets, it's not about making pretty pictures for the magazines; it's really about creating a quality of life, a beauty that nourishes the soul."
- Albert Hadley, American Interior Designer

Mr. Hadley, thanks for all the inspiration and for sharing your creative genius with us. You and your words of wisdom will truly be missed!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. The quotes are great. Well said, Mr. Hadley, and I add my thanks too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...